DMD 1.036 and 2.020 releases

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Mon Oct 20 19:55:47 PDT 2008

Bill Baxter wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 10:59 AM, dsimcha <dsimcha at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Seriously, though, Walter, thank you very much for this release.  You have done a
>> tremendous job bringing us a better language.  Merging the Phobos and Tango
>> runtime is a monumental task (Sean, thank you, too) and a few bumps along the road
>> are definitely understandable.
>
> Hmm, first off it looks like druntime.lib doesn't exist in the D2 download.
> I was able to build it by running build-dmd.bat in one of the druntime
> subdirectories.
>
> But there's more to it than that.
>
> There's an object.d in src/phobos with a prototype for a print() function.
> But the object.di in src/druntime/import does not have a print() function.
>
> So maybe the phobos.lib included was built using the old object.d
> instead of the new one from druntime?

I have family visiting and haven't been online much the past few days as
a result.  But from a quick perusal these are some issues with the
current release:

* ship druntime.lib in dmd/lib
* remove object.d and errno.c from phobos/
* modify DFLAGS to reference the druntime import path

Also, something will have to be done about druntime including a 'std'
package in its import directory.  I'd say just remove it for now, but
hopefully at some point it won't be necessary to retain it at all (the
reasons for it being there are somewhat weird).  This shouldn't affect
use of the current release, though you may have to place the phobos
directory first in your import path list.

Finally, I still need to look over the core.memory.GC.xxxHandle()
routines, which were added by necessity just prior to release.  The
basic functionality will remain, but names may be changed to protect the
innocent, etc.

If anyone runs across any other issues, please submit a ticket on
dsource or the puremagic site as appropriate, or simply post them here.

By the way... thank you all for testing this out.  I know the initial
release is a bit rough, but hopefully things will be smoothed out soon.
  Once DMD is sorted I'll be porting the GDC runtime as well.  I just
wanted to get one distro sorted out first before dealing with the others.

Sean