DMD 1.036 and 2.020 releases

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 22:47:16 PDT 2008

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Yigal Chripun wrote:
>> Walter Bright Wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
>>> http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.036.zip
>>>
>>> The 2.0 version splits phobos into druntime and phobos libraries
>>> (thanks to Sean Kelly). This will enable both Tango and Phobos to
>>> share a common core library.
>>>
>>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
>>> http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.020.zip
>>>
>>> There are a lot of structural changes that go along with this, so
>>> expect some rough patches with this release. It may take a followup
>>> release to file them down. There's also some renaming of imports
>>> and function names, as a compromise with Tango names.
>>
>> Great news! thank you Sean And Walter for this important first step.
>> I hope the rest of the tango/phobos issue will be sorted out as
>> well..
>
> I was hoping there is no more issue. The common runtime levels the
> ground for library interoperability.
>
> Andrei

What I meant was that now that the runtime is unified the next step
would be to unify the user APIs.
You've posted in the NG your intention to re-implement several key
modules in phobos including IO and algorithm, I'm hoping that instead of
two separate IO systems (tango and phobos) you could use the Tango IO
and implement your Range proposal on top of it. Others already suggested
that on this NG.
I know that there are license issues with this which I don't understand.
 both Tango and Phobos use very liberal open-source licenses so all is
needed to use Tango code legally in the future unified standard library
is to comply with the restrictions which IIRC require only
acknowledgment. IANAL but all those differences between open source
licenses shouldn't be a big deal.