DMD 1.036 and 2.020 releases

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Tue Oct 21 11:04:56 PDT 2008

Sergey Gromov wrote:
> Tue, 21 Oct 2008 09:40:28 -0700,
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> Don wrote:
>>> We also now have two modules called 'bitmanip', which is somewhat ironic
>>> since we brainstormed for ages trying to come up with a better name for
>>> it. Modules with duplicate names have caused linking problems in the
>>> past -- not sure if that applies here.
>> It applies if the modules from both Phobos and druntime end up in the
>> same library on *nix.  Windows doesn't appear to have the same issue.
>> But I'd love to hear suggestions for alternative names-- I'm not
>> terribly good at naming modules :-p.
>>
>> Also, any I'd like to see how people feel about having three top-level
>> packages in druntime vs. one-- an alternative I'd considered was to put
>> everything under core.
>
> I actually was expecting all the runtime stuff to be in core.* and was
> surprised to find std and sys there.

I didn't even create core until just recently--before that, the modules
in core were global, much like object.  So my thoughts on the druntime
package layout are still evolving.  I do now think that having a single
top-level package would probably be best, but figured I'd solicit
opinions before changing anything.

Sean