DMD 1.036 and 2.020 releases

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 11:39:02 PDT 2008

Extrawurst Wrote:

> >> But why is it that since 2.020 i cannot name a package "shared" anymore?
> >>
> >> moudle shared.foo;
> >>
> >> dmd: "Identifier expected following module"
> >>
> >> WTF ?
> >
> > Because shared is now a keyword.
> >

> Ok, what is it for ? Where is it documented ? Or is it another reserved
> keyword like "macro" is ?

There was a long discussion on digitalmars.d about this.  It's definitely coming in the short term.  It was on Walter's top 5 a week or so ago... along with integrating druntime, ref return values, and implementing immutable.  I don't recall the whole list, but he's definitely working on this.

This is part of the change to allow thread local storage and have non-local objects marked as shared.  Shared objects would have a number of volatile-like properties.  I'm sure I've butchered the whole topic in trying to do a summary in a sentence or two, but it should give you the general idea of what it is and why the word has become a keyword.