DMD 1.036 and 2.020 releases

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 16:02:35 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 7:01 AM, Jason House
<jason.james.house at gmail.com> wrote:
> Bill Baxter Wrote:
>
>> Is there a good reason why it shouldn't be possible to use opAssign as
>> a replacement for opIndexAssign?
>>
>> --bb
>
> opindexAssign will still be needed when opindex has a non-ref return type.

Yep, definitely shouldn't get rid of opIndexAssign.  It's still a nice
advantage of D over C++ when you want to monitor and control all
modifications to an array-like object.

But if the opIndex does return a ref, and an opIndexAssign has not
been defined then I don't see why that opIndex shouldn't allow users
to say   foo[10] = x.   Instead of *(&foo[10])=x;

--bb