DMD 1.036 and 2.020 releases

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Wed Oct 22 06:56:30 PDT 2008

Sean Kelly wrote:

> Don wrote:
>>
>> We also now have two modules called 'bitmanip', which is somewhat ironic
>> since we brainstormed for ages trying to come up with a better name for
>> it. Modules with duplicate names have caused linking problems in the
>> past -- not sure if that applies here.
>
> It applies if the modules from both Phobos and druntime end up in the
> same library on *nix.  Windows doesn't appear to have the same issue.
> But I'd love to hear suggestions for alternative names-- I'm not
> terribly good at naming modules :-p.
>
> Also, any I'd like to see how people feel about having three top-level
> packages in druntime vs. one-- an alternative I'd considered was to put
> everything under core.
>

> Sean

Functionality exposed from the runtime should reside in core, std shouldn't
be used in druntime and any other packages (sys) is presumingly reserved
for what corresponds to tango.sys

In any case, a hierarchy of the type

common/
  core/
  sys/
  stdc/

should be highly considered. This would allow a namespace for functionality
that is truly common, not only the runtime, but math and eventually other
functionality. In addition it is naive to believe that just because
druntime is meant to be a common runtime, that it will be the only runtime
in the long run.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net