DMD 1.036 and 2.020 releases

Don nospam at nospam.com.au
Wed Oct 22 08:25:17 PDT 2008

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
>> Sean Kelly wrote:

>>> It applies if the modules from both Phobos and druntime end up in the
>>> same library on *nix.  Windows doesn't appear to have the same issue.
>>> But I'd love to hear suggestions for alternative names-- I'm not
>>> terribly good at naming modules :-p.
>>>
>>> Also, any I'd like to see how people feel about having three top-level
>>> packages in druntime vs. one-- an alternative I'd considered was to put
>>> everything under core.
>>>

>>> Sean
>>
>> Functionality exposed from the runtime should reside in core, std
>> shouldn't
>> be used in druntime and any other packages (sys) is presumingly reserved
>> for what corresponds to tango.sys
>>
>> In any case, a hierarchy of the type
>>
>> common/
>>   core/
>>   sys/
>>   stdc/
>>
>> should be highly considered. This would allow a namespace for
>> functionality
>> that is truly common, not only the runtime, but math and eventually other
>> functionality. In addition it is naive to believe that just because
>> druntime is meant to be a common runtime, that it will be the only
>> runtime
>> in the long run.
>
> A problem I see with the proliferation of top-level packages in the
> standard library is that each of them makes homonym user-defined
> packages inaccessible. Heck, I have a package called "common" today.
>
> Andrei

'std', 'stdc' and 'sys' sound OK to me. Although is there any reason why
stdc couldn't be part of 'sys'?
IMHO: 'common' sounds far too generic. 'core' is borderline.

Of course if the non-common parts of Phobos were moved to a namespace
called 'phobos', std would become the perfect location for common code.
But changing std.stdio to phobos.stdio might not be acceptable.

Anyway, we need to arrange a common location somehow.