Adding Unicode operators to D

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 05:16:23 PDT 2008

Max Samukha wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 04:23:29 -0700, Robert Fraser
> <fraserofthenight at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> bearophile wrote:
>>> - Python3 allows Unicode identifiers, mostly to allow people in
>>> all part of the world to write variable names in their languages.
>>>
>> So does D.
> I'd like to note that identifiers in a non-English language are
> considered bad style by many programmers. Besides, big part of
> software projects nowadays are international. Imagine participants of
>  linux project writing identifiers in his language.

isn't that something that should be decided upon on a per-project basis?
I agree that it'll be bad for Linux, but each project has its own
objectives. for example, what if you're teaching a programming course
for kids? it'll be easier for them writing in their own native language.
I could easily imagine a small start-up writing in their own native
language (let's say Hebrew) as one way for obfuscating the source code,
so as to protect their IP.
there are, I'm sure, more use-cases.