Adding Unicode operators to D

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 18:23:32 PDT 2008

Bill Baxter wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Sergey Gromov <snake.scaly at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sat, 25 Oct 2008 06:43:19 +0900,
>> Bill Baxter wrote:

>>> So tell me what the alternative is?  I had trouble with running D
>>> tools from a Cygwin shell.  Can't remember if I tried MSYS or not.
>>>
>>> Anyone using a shell for Windows that works and supports UTF-8 properly?
>> A regular Windows console supports UTF-8 to some extent:
>>
>> * Change console font to Lucida Console
>> * issue "chcp 65001"
>>
>> You can even get more fonts into there with a bit of hackery.
>
> I did that but "type <filewith-utf8.txt>"  still prints garbage.
>
> --bb

so don't use type. use notepad instead...
notepad <filewith-utf8.txt>
also, MSYS gives you all the linux tools if you really need to be shell
only.
last resort: nothing stops you from implementing your own "cat"
application in D with full Unicode support.

most if not all linux shell tools are separate executables anyway and if
any still do not support unicode it'll be trivial to roll your own
replacements for the bad ones.