Adding Unicode operators to D

Benji Smith dlanguage at benjismith.net
Fri Oct 24 18:37:43 PDT 2008

Bill Baxter wrote:

>>> I did that but "type <filewith-utf8.txt>"  still prints garbage.
>> That's weird. My machine (WinXp Sp3) has no problem printing UTF-8 to the
>> console. The only special thing I did was changed the font to Lucide
>> Console.
>
> Ok.  Thanks for the info.  Knowing that it has actually worked for at
> least one person gives me motivation to try again.
>
> --bb

Write a tiny little D program and see what you get on the console:

    import tango.io.Stdout;
    void main() {
       Stdout("spade, club, heart, diamond: \u2660\u2663\u2665\u2666");
    }

I don't know anything about the "type" command, and whether it supports
UTF-8. But the console itself ought to be able to handle it. Try
compiling the above code and see what happens.

--benji