Adding Unicode operators to D

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 24 21:19:42 PDT 2008

"Bill Baxter" wrote
> On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 6:37 AM, ore-sama <spam at here.lot> wrote:
>> Bill Baxter Wrote:
>>
>>> (like I haven't been able to figure out how to get the
>>> DOS console in Windows to display UTF-8)
>>
>> Console is a legacy technology (you even still call it "DOS"), why expect
>> features from it?
>
> So tell me what the alternative is?  I had trouble with running D
> tools from a Cygwin shell.  Can't remember if I tried MSYS or not.

Any text-based program uses the same Windows console (unless it's a GUI
application, and it uses controls to create a text box, etc).  Including
cygwin shell.

To say it's a legacy technology is like saying Linux is a legacy technology
because it's command line based.  It's a false experience promoted by
Microsoft to try and spread FUD about OSes that mainly support command line
tools, like Linux.  But command line tools are extremely useful and
powerful, much easier to develop, and IMO easier to use.  For instance, if
you want to find all files that contain a certain text, grep -R text / and
you're done.  On windows it's 'click the start menu, select search, wait for
the search window to pop up, click on the dog, etc'.  Freaking annoying if
you ask me ;)

> Anyone using a shell for Windows that works and supports UTF-8 properly?

I would guess it should work properly, most everything in windows supports
unicode.  Perhaps you have some configuration setting not set properly?  I'd
suggest searching msdn.

-Steve