Adding Unicode operators to D

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 24 21:40:30 PDT 2008

"Benji Smith" wrote
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> Benji Smith wrote:
>>> The key is to never never never use the cygwin shell. It's a piece of
>>> garbage. But using the executables from the "cygwin\bin" directory
>>> within
>>> the windows shell... Priceless!
>>
>> Oh, I didn't realize that.  There is one thing that doesn't work,
>> which is probably what gave me the impression it was broken -- Windows
>> paths with wildcards don't work.   Like "grep c:\Windows\*.txt".   But
>> you're right that it does seem to work for both windows paths, and
>> local wildcards, just not Windows paths with wildcards.

It's not the paths with wildcards that is the problem.  In this case, it is
the shell.  Grep is expecting the shell to expand the wildcards, as it does
on unix.

For example, you can use this old trick if ls suddenly becomes unavailable
to list all files in the current directory:

echo *

Which is all shell builtin no executables are run.

If you ran this from a windows shell you get the same error:

grep text /cygdrive/c/Windows/*.txt

The windows shell expects the application to handle wildcard expansion,
which is why windows command line programs don't always work the same way.
Every program has to build in wildcard expansion to support it.

-Steve