Adding Unicode operators to D

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 24 22:09:02 PDT 2008

"Bill Baxter" wrote
> On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Steven Schveighoffer
> <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> It's not the paths with wildcards that is the problem.  In this case, it
>> is
>> the shell.  Grep is expecting the shell to expand the wildcards, as it
>> does
>> on unix.
>
> Read again.  Particularly this part:
>
> "it does seem to work for both windows paths, **and local wildcards**,
> just not Windows paths with wildcards".
> (emphasis added)
>
> "grep Foo *.txt"  works just fine.  "grep Foo c:\*.txt"  does not.

Then that must be something grep is doing extra.  Or perhaps the Windows
console selectively expands wildcards?  I have no idea.  It seems weird that
grep would expand only current-directory wildcards (try grep Foo *, and see
if it works.  Windows normally only expands *.* to mean 'all files').  But
in the case of using a cygwin shell, the shell expands all wildcards before
passing arguments to grep.  That much I do know.  I haven't really had a
need to use the windows shell in a long time ;)

-Steve