Adding Unicode operators to D

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 04:57:16 PDT 2008

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> "Bill Baxter" wrote

>>> Console is a legacy technology (you even still call it "DOS"), why expect
>>> features from it?
>> So tell me what the alternative is?  I had trouble with running D
>> tools from a Cygwin shell.  Can't remember if I tried MSYS or not.
>
> Any text-based program uses the same Windows console (unless it's a GUI
> application, and it uses controls to create a text box, etc).  Including
> cygwin shell.
>
> To say it's a legacy technology is like saying Linux is a legacy technology
> because it's command line based.  It's a false experience promoted by
> Microsoft to try and spread FUD about OSes that mainly support command line
> tools, like Linux.  But command line tools are extremely useful and
> powerful, much easier to develop, and IMO easier to use.  For instance, if
> you want to find all files that contain a certain text, grep -R text / and
> you're done.  On windows it's 'click the start menu, select search, wait for
> the search window to pop up, click on the dog, etc'.  Freaking annoying if
> you ask me ;)
>

>> Anyone using a shell for Windows that works and supports UTF-8 properly?
>
> I would guess it should work properly, most everything in windows supports
> unicode.  Perhaps you have some configuration setting not set properly?  I'd
> suggest searching msdn.
>
> -Steve

windows console AKA DOS Box *is* in fact legacy technology. It is
replaced by MS Powershell which is based on C#. they actually took many
ideas from Linux and incorporated in it.

Also, it doesn't have to be either/or situation regarding CLI vs GUI.
There's Apple's quicksilver (IIRC the name) which is a gui app with CLI
like interface. it has the best from both worlds. PowerShell is GUI
based as well. IMO, CLI should be provided as just a widget in the GUI
world and not a separate entity.