Adding Unicode operators to D

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Oct 26 10:23:09 PDT 2008

Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Spacen Jasset wrote:

>>> I am not entirely sure that 30 or (x amount) of new operators would
>>> be a good thing anyway. How hard is it to say m3 =
>>> m1.crossProduct(m2) ? vs m3 = m1 X m2 ? and how often will that
>>> happen? It's also going to make the language more difficult to learn
>>> and understand.
>>
>> I have noticed that in pretty much all scientific code, the f(a, b)
>> and a.f(b) notations fall off a readability cliff when the number of
>> operators grows only to a handful. Lured by simple examples like
>> yours, people don't see that as a problem until they actually have to
>> read or write such code. Adding temporaries and such is not that great
>> because it further takes the algorithm away from its mathematical form
>> just for serving a notation that was the problem in the first place.
>>

> But what operators would be added? Some mathematician programmers might
> want vector and matrix operators, others set operators, others still
> derivation/integration operators, and so on. Where would we stop?
> I don't deny it might be useful for them, but it does seem like too
> specific a need to integrate in the language.

I was thinking of allowing a general way of defining one Unicode
character to stand in as one operator, and then have libraries implement
  the actual operators.

There's the remaining problem of different libraries defining the same
character to mean different operators. This may not be huge as math
subdomains tend to be rather consistent in their use of operators.
Across math subdomains, types and overloading can take care of things.

Also, ascii representation should be allowed for operators, and one nice
thing about Unicode characters is that many have HTML ascii and
human-readable names, see
http://www.fileformat.info/format/w3c/htmlentity.htm. So
\unicodecharname may be a good alternate way to enter these operators.
For example, the empty set could be \empty, and the cross-product could
be written as \times. So

c = a \times b;

doesn't quite look bad to me.

One nice thing about this is that we don't need to pore over naming and
such, we just use stuff that others (creators and users alike) have
already pored over. Saves on documentation writing too :o).

Andrei