DMD 1.035 and 2.019 releases

Georg Wrede georg at nospam.org
Thu Sep 4 15:20:13 PDT 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
> Matti Niemenmaa wrote:
>
>> Nice release, thanks! One nit: running "dmd" still says "Digital Mars
>> D Compiler
>> v1.034".
>

> Fixed!

Congrats, etc., you know!  :-)

An idea:

On www.digitalmars.com you currently replace the Current Version link
with the, ehhh, Current Version, right?

Now, would it be a better idea to announce here the existence of DMD
X.0xx /without/ changing the default link on the web site? Point being,
you'd want to get feedback for at least a week from this NG, before
"publishing to the world at large" the new version.

This might be handy for "real errors", because then you could have some
comment next to the link about, well, caveats or whatever.

Even better, you'd get rid of the most trivial, and embarrassing, erros
(of the kind I make all the time, like "says v1.034") before the regular
downloaders hear of them.

georg

PS, think about those who don't read this NG, who just happen to
download the obvious choice, the current version, and then there's some
embarrassing or downright dangerous thing with it, and he never gets the
wiser -- because we can't mandate that everyone reads this NG.

/At least 1.xx/ should do this.