RFC on range design for D2

Manfred_Nowak svv1999 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 8 20:39:27 PDT 2008

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

>> 1)
> There are numerous collections and ranges to be defined

You are right. A reversable range can be built with the designed
primitives. But this also holds for the `Retro'-type.

>> 2)
> I used these:
> leftToLeft

Much better, but did you notice, that you used the directionless words
"beginning" and "end" to describe their semantics? That's why I used
"B" and "E". With directions in the names one might be forced to make
wrappers for not being irritated by the directions in case they do not
fit.

Ex.: Imagine a 4d-matrix in which a 3d-range is defined diagonally to
three of the axis of the 4d-matrix. What is left respective right of
such a range?

3) casting

On second read I miss some words about explicite and implicite casting
possibilities between the five types of ranges.

-manfred

--
If life is going to exist in this Universe, then the one thing it cannot
afford to have is a sense of proportion. (Douglas Adams)