RFC on range design for D2

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Sep 9 10:24:31 PDT 2008

Andrei Alexandrescu:

>For my money, other collection/algorithms designs don't hold a candle to STL's.<

I know that the STL is a highly refined piece of technology; after reading lot of things written by Alexander Stepanov I was impressed.

Still, other languages don't care of the STL because they really want to be simpler than C++ (I think you probably need a significant part of the complexity of C++ language to implement a good STL), so the other languages (and their std libs) may look worse to you, but for a lot of people those languages and std libs aren't worse, they trade some power (that you can find in STL) with a simpler language that more programmers may want to use. The practical result is that today there may be two programmers using the Java std lib for each C++ STL user.