RFC on range design for D2

Extrawurst spam at extrawurst.org
Tue Sep 9 12:46:27 PDT 2008

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> BCS wrote:
>>> I was referring to the implementation as visible from the called
>>> code's side
>>
>> opApply isn't going to go away, it will still be there as an alternative.
>
> I disagree with that as I think that would be one perfect place to
> simplify the language thus fulfilling bearophile's and many others' wish.
>
> Say we refine ranges to work with foreach to perfection. Then we have:
>
> 1. A foreach that sucks
>
> 2. A foreach that rocks
>
> The obvious question is, why keep the one that sucks?

I agree but i am worried that wont happen. D gets more and more polluted
by deprecated and/or ambiguous stuff:

- inout/ref

- opCall/struct-ctor

are some examples. I whished D would only provide unambiguous features.
Especially since D2.0 is the experimental branch anyway, so why not
clean up finally ?