RFC on range design for D2

Benji Smith dlanguage at benjismith.net
Tue Sep 9 15:22:47 PDT 2008

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> I put together a short document for the range design. I definitely
> missed about a million things and have been imprecise about another
> million, so feedback would be highly appreciated. See:
>
> http://ssli.ee.washington.edu/~aalexand/d/tmp/std_range.html

Just thinking off the top of my head...

How well would the proposal support a producer/consumer work queue, or a
signal/slot implementation?

A work-queue consumer would view the queue as an infinite range with no
end, but the producer would view that same queue as an infinite range
with no beginning. And, conceivably, you could have "conduits" between
the producer and consumer that would view that same queue as having
neither a beginning nor an end.

I'm making no judgment about whether the proposal supports or doesn't
support that kind of model. I'm just putting the idea out there for
consideration.

--benji