RFC on range design for D2

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Sep 9 16:10:37 PDT 2008

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> "Andrei Alexandrescu" wrote
> I thought you stated that 'pointers' shouldn't be allowed, only ranges?  In
> general, I agree with that, but I think the ability to use a pointer type
> instead of ranges has advantages in some cases.

I think there's a little confusion. There's three things:

1. Ranges
2. Iterators
3. Pointers, e.g. the exact address where the object sits in memory

My address uses 1 and drops 2. You still have access to 3 if you so need.

void showAddresses(R)(R r)
{
     for (size_t i = 0; !r.isEmpty; r.next, ++i)
     {
         writeln("Element ," i, " is sitting at address: ", &(r.first));

Andrei