RFC on range design for D2

Derek Parnell derek at nomail.afraid.org
Tue Sep 9 17:06:52 PDT 2008

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 18:04:12 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> But yes... first and last are in I guess.
Yes, I understand this. I am just raking old coals to stress the importance
of choosing the "right" (or is that "correct") word; one that promotes
least synaptic double-takes.

> Finally the coin dropped on the Arabic/Hebrew cultural thing. I don't
> think they'd be offended.

I wasn't thinking about offense, just cultural assumptions.

> This is not writing. Left is left and right is right in math.

Well, I beg to differ. I believe that programming languages are closer to
prose than they are to maths. Even if 'left' and 'right' have specific
meanings in maths, people reading someone else's code and seeing r.left
might not know that they are reading "maths". I'm sure most readers (at
least while learning) will apply their cultural bias when interpreting the
written text, and all I'm saying is that r.left may very well mean
different things to different people.

--
Derek
(skype: derek.j.parnell)