RFC on range design for D2

JAnderson ask at me.com
Wed Sep 10 21:49:30 PDT 2008

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> JAnderson wrote:
>>
>> Hi Andrei,
>>
>> I like the idea behind ranges.  I don't like C++'s / stl's long winded
>> syntax at all.  Its so large that it generally uses up several lines
>> along with several typedefs etc...  All that work just to iterate over
>> some data.  The longer things get the more error prone they get... how
>> many times have I put an begin when I meant to put end *sigh*.
>>
>> However I currently disagree on this point.
>>
>> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>  >
>>  > Fine. So instead of saying:
>>  >
>>  > foreach (e; c.all) { ... }
>>  >
>>  > you can say
>>  >
>>  > foreach (e; c) { ... }
>>  >
>>  > I think that's some dubious savings.
>>

>> I think its useful to have the implicit range conversion.  Consider
>> writing generic/template code.  Of course built in arrays could
>> provide the .all but then consider passing around ranges.  That would
>> also mean all ranges would also have a .all (could we go .all.all.all
>> for instance?).
>
> There's no regression. There are containers and ranges. Containers have
> .all. Ranges don't.
>
> I think you guys are making a good point; I'm undecided on what would be
> better. One not-so-cool part about implicit conversion to range is that
> all of a sudden all range operations spill into the container. So people
> try to call c.pop and it doesn't compile. (Why?) They get confused.

I'm not sure that range operations need to spill over.  I was thinking
that foreach would be kinda like a template.  The foreach would do the
implict conversion. ie something like (pseudo):

foreach(I,T)(I i, T t, delegate d)
{
	foreach (I i; T.all)
	{
		d();

Infact anything that takes range would implicitly convert (for they too
can be used inside generic code).  Of course that that would require
compiler support, probably.