Revised RFC on range design for D2

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Sep 12 08:32:40 PDT 2008

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> "Andrei Alexandrescu" wrote
>> In wake of the many excellent comments and suggestions made here, I made
>> one more pass through the draft proposal for ranges.
>>
>> http://ssli.ee.washington.edu/~aalexand/d/tmp/std_range.html
>>
>> There are some comments in red illustrating some uncertainties (not all),
>> and the names of the primitives have been updated. Bicycle shed galore!
>> But don't forget to comment on the reactor as well :o).
>
> You know my position ;)  But here are some things:
>
> 1. I like the new names of things much better.  This is a much prettier
> bicycle shed :)  And in this case, I think the bicycle shed is a little
> closer to the heart of the design than the nuclear reactor.  Maybe the core
> is better described as a bicycle shop :)
>
> 2. Saw this typo in the section on input range:
>
> e=r.head Returns the element at the current position, which is of type
> ElementType!(R). In case ElementType!(R) has aliases (such as a reference,
> pointer, or array type), the **iterator** is free to recycle it it upon the
> call to r.next...

Fixed, thanks. You see, it's your influence :o).

> 3. In output iterator (more bicycle shed stuff):
>
> writing one object and moving to the next one are an organic operation
>
> What's an organic operation?  I'm assuming it means 'coupled' like you can't
> do one without the other?  I've never heard that term before.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/organic

(2): of, relating to, yielding, or involving the use of food produced
with the use of feed or fertilizer of plant or animal origin without
employment of chemically formulated fertilizers, growth stimulants,
antibiotics, or pesticides

Just wanted to throw you off :o). This one:

4 a: forming an integral element of a whole : fundamental <incidental
music rather than organic parts of the action — Francis Fergusson> b:
having systematic coordination of parts : organized <an organic whole>

Andrei