Delight

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 10:49:02 PDT 2008

bearophile wrote:
> Sergey Gromov:
>> I'd like to look at some real-world example written in Delight.
>
> I have not tried to run it yet because it's for Linux for now.
>

>> I'm afraid that the lack of global state will result in either a
>> huge amount of arguments passed to every function or huge ad-hoc
>> interfaces grouping other interfaces just to pass some
>> functionality up-stream.
>
> I agree, that's one of the main things I think have to be fixed in
> Delight, having global vars (and maybe a global main function too).

Could you explain why?
IMO, this is actually a good idea [not having global state]. it does
provide capability based security even if that wasn't the original goal.
I also liked the IoC built into the language.

> The other main problem comes from the tabs as indents, this explains
> why it's bad:
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2003-January/183758.html

This is (for me) the most important reason why I won't use this language
(even though I like some of the ideas behind it). I hate Python syntax.
mainly because the indentation style is forced on the programmer. I do
recognize that there are use-cases for this style but I also think this
should not be forced for _all_ use-cases. Ruby, for example, provides
two ways (you can either use braces or the "end" keyword). IMHO, this
should be provided as a compiler option.

another example is Nemerle that provides "#pragma indent". see
http://nemerle.org/Indentation-based_syntax