Delight

Charles Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 25 12:24:17 PDT 2008

bearophile wrote:
> Sergey Gromov:
>> I'd like to look at some real-world example written in Delight.
>
> I have not tried to run it yet because it's for Linux for now.
>

>> I'm afraid that the lack of global state will result in either a huge amount
>> of arguments passed to every function or huge ad-hoc interfaces grouping
>> other interfaces just to pass some functionality up-stream.
>
> I agree, that's one of the main things I think have to be fixed in Delight, having global vars (and maybe a global main function too).
>
> The other main problem comes from the tabs as indents, this explains why it's bad:
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2003-January/183758.html
>
> There are other problems in Delight, but I think they are minor.
>
> There's a (for me) surprisingly large discussion on Reddit about Delight, 82 comments so far:
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/73d15/d_meets_python/
>
> Bye,
> bearophile
I disagree.  I always use tabs.  This allows me to adjust the
indentation width on the fly and as needed, which spaces would not allow.

OTOH, I do agree that a mixture of spaces and tabs should be forbidden
in any language where indentation level is syntactically meaningful, and
probably also in any language where it's semantically meaningful.