RFC on range design for D2

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Thu Sep 25 12:54:39 PDT 2008

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> This is because I make next to no money so I can afford to work on basic
> research, which is "important" in a long-ranging way. Today's computing
> is quite disorganized and great energy is expended on gluing together
> various pieces, protocols, and interfaces. I've worked in that
> environment quite a lot, and dealing with glue can easily become 90% of
> a day's work, leaving only little time to get occupied with a real
> problem, such as making a computer genuinely smarter or at least more
> helpful towards its user. All too often we put a few widgets on a window
> and the actual logic driving those buttons - the "smarts", the actual
> "work" gets drowned by details taking care of making that logic stick to
> the buttons.

Well, didn't you find a "real problem" right there (and also a very
interesting one), in trying to make
code/libraries/methodologies/tools/whatever that reduce those 90% of
work in boilerplate details?
An example could the years of investment and research in ORM frameworks
(Hibernate/EJB3, Ruby on Rails, etc.), which despite ORM technology
having existed for quite many years, only recently has it reached a
point where it's really easy and non-tedious to write an OO-DB
persistence mapping.
Another possible example, regarding GUI programming like you mentioned,
is data binding. I haven't used it myself yet, but for what they
describe, it's purpose is indeed to reduce a lot of the complexity and
tedium in writing code to synchronize the UI with the model/logic, and
vice-versa.
Learning and building these kinds of stuff is, IMO, the pinnacle of
software engineering.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate