Delight

Sergey Gromov snake.scaly at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 14:03:39 PDT 2008

In article <gbgs5p$26n$1 at digitalmars.com>, charleshixsn at earthlink.net
says...
> As I said, I first read this years ago.  Since that time my opinions on
> the matter have become more convinced.  I have never seen any evidence
> that on honest examination didn't boil down to "I don't like tabs".  So
> I kludge when I must exchange code with such people/applications, and
> when I receive code that uses space for indentation, I laboriously
> remedy the problem.  But I don't think there was was better.  (Actually,
> it's not usually all that laborious, but it's extra work that I despise
> having to do.)

To myself, I've reduced the spaces/tabs cons to the following:

If you use strictly spaces, you must negotiate indentation width for a
project, you must cope with the chosen indentation width if you don't
like it, and you'll probably want to switch between different widths if
you work on many external projects, though nothing bad happens if you
forget.

If you use strictly tabs, you must never, ever, align things in columns
except by the means of indentation, and therefore you can have only one
aligned column.

That's it.  The rest is a matter of personal choice.  There is only one
con for tabs, and if you consider it minor, then tabs are for you.