Revised RFC on range design for D2

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Sep 27 18:45:58 PDT 2008

Sergey Gromov wrote:
> Sat, 27 Sep 2008 15:19:01 -0500,
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> My point is that I agree with all concerns you are raising but I am not
>> sure they warrant adding a language feature.
>
> I hoped for some reason that these features could simplify the compiler.
> Now when I think about it I conclude that I was probably wrong.
> Explicit properties is definitely a feature, even though it seems easy
> to implement. Injectons could help if Walter were forced into supporting
> different scoping rules for unified call syntax, but if a.f(b) stays
> strictly a sugar for f(a,b) this feature helps nothing from a compiler
> standpoint.
>
> So I'll probably agree that these features don't add much to the
> language, as D doesn't add much to C except safety, productivity,
> maintainability and claritiy.  The clarity/maintainability vs genericity
> is a tradeoff which is completely in Walter's hands.

Very wise words.

I think we all agree that there are some annoyances related to the whole
property business, among which the main one is:

writeln = 4;

That is quite indefensible :o|. I consider the others rather minor, but
that's just a personal opinion.

How about this. Maybe if we attacked this annoyance in particular, that
would be a large bang for the buck without a landslide change in the
compiler. We only need some way to inform the compiler, "yes, it's ok to
call a.b(c) as a.b = c". Ideas?

Andrei