dmd 1.043 alpha for FreeBSD 7.1

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Apr 14 14:48:00 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>>> Now works for FreeBSD 7.1!
>>
>> Nice!
>>
>> But is there a particularly good reason for disregarding version
>> identifiers already established by gdc and ldc?
>>
>> freebsd vs FreeBSD, darwin vs OSX
>
> FreeBSD is how it is normally written in the official FreeBSD
> literature, such as : http://www.freebsd.org/

If you follow what's normally written in the official literature and
documentation shouldn't it be "MacOSX" then?

> Also, gcc on FreeBSD predefines __FreeBSD__
>
> Clearly, FreeBSD is the term preferred by the FreeBSD community.
>
> The Mac OSX documentation does not refer to it as darwin, it normally
> refers to it as OSX. You have to work hard to find any references to
> darwin on the Apple web site. Nevertheless, "darwin" is predefined for
> legacy compatibility on the Mac dmd compiler.

It depends on what documentation you read.
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/index.html
In this documentation "Darwin" is all over the place.

> I was concerned that people would see "darwin" support and wonder what
> that is. OSX is an order of magnitude better known and associated with
> Apple. Macs are not called "darwins". I suspect we'd get real tired of
> saying "yes, darwin really means OSX."
>
> (As an aside, back in the 80's the ubiquitous and famous Wordstar
> program was produced by Micropro. Nobody could ever remember the company
> name. After many years of people assuming that Wordstar was made by
> Wordstar Inc. and fruitlessly trying to find Wordstar Inc., Micropro
> finally wised up and changed their name to Wordstar Inc.
>
> Also, note that most bands put out their first CD as a self-titled one.)

And can't we just have all the version identifiers in lowercase.