dmd 1.043 alpha for FreeBSD 7.1

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 19:57:33 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> cemiller wrote:
>> How about just making version and debug identifiers case-insensitive?
>> Aren't they already in their own special namespace; they're
>> special-case (pun intended).
>
> Because then I have to explain why some identifiers are case sensitive
> and some or not for the next few decades. <g>

Currently, you'll have to explain why one identifier is lowercase while
the others are mixed case for the next few decades.

I thought one of the big strengths of D was dropping compatibility where
it made sense and improved things.  No one is going to be copy+pasting C
code into D complete with #ifdef's and expecting it to work.

Aside from that, which of the following is easier to explain to programmers?

"Platform version identifiers are mixed case and named for the consumer
name of the platform.  API version identifiers follow the same rule."

"Platform version identifiers may be any case and are sometimes named
after the identifier used in that platform's C compiler, possibly
changed to remove underscores, unless we didn't like that identifier in
which case we might be using another one.  This made up one could be the
name of the platform, the name of the OS, or something else."

  -- Daniel