dmd 1.043 alpha for FreeBSD 7.1

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Apr 15 02:15:39 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> If you follow what's normally written in the official literature and
>> documentation shouldn't it be "MacOSX" then?
>
> Perhaps. One could argue it either way. I checked the predefined
> identifiers in gcc for guidance, and found just the unfortunately
> generic __APPLE__. I wish Apple would make up their mind what they
> wanted to call their OS.

They call it "Mac OS", then they add a version like this: "Mac OS 9".
Then when the tenth versions came it happened to be built on a nix
base/core (known as darwin) and they also added the X (probably to
reflect the new nix base, "X" is also ten using roman numerals) making
it: "Mac OS X". They still call it "mac os ten" (though some people,
including me, like to call it "mac os x" and pronounce the "x" as in the
letter "x"). After the "x" they add a name to reflect the version i.e.
"Leopard" for version 10.5. Sometimes they refer to the os version with
the name and sometimes with the version number.