dmd 1.043 alpha for FreeBSD 7.1

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Thu Apr 16 16:26:04 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> They call it "Mac OS", then they add a version like this: "Mac OS 9".
>> Then when the tenth versions came it happened to be built on a nix
>> base/core (known as darwin) and they also added the X (probably to
>> reflect the new nix base, "X" is also ten using roman numerals) making
>> it: "Mac OS X". They still call it "mac os ten" (though some people,
>> including me, like to call it "mac os x" and pronounce the "x" as in
>> the letter "x"). After the "x" they add a name to reflect the version
>> i.e. "Leopard" for version 10.5. Sometimes they refer to the os
>> version with the name and sometimes with the version number.
>
> Apple calls it "Mac OS X version 10.5".
>
> There is little consistency in how Apple names their OSs, so there is no
> way to come up with a version identifier for it that is completely
> consistent.

There's a good word for them. They're Good Marketers. Now, in an honest
man's world that is equivalent with Good Liars. (The definition being,
whenever a liar is good at achieving his goal, and at the same time
avoiding accusations of lying, then he's a Good Liar. We had a
discussion about this in Elementary School, on the school yard. Of
course, the bigger boys won, but that didn't mean that the rest of us
would forget it, ever.)

So, in anticipation of how "the world goes", all we need is a table
lookup. Apple this or that, translates to this or that Version.