dmd 2.029 release

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Wed Apr 22 04:27:23 PDT 2009

Don wrote:
> Georg Wrede wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>>
>>> I was replaced by Colossus years ago.
>>
>> Michael A. Jackson wouldn't approve 1175 gotos in 113 files.
>
> It'd be really funny to pass it through one of those "code quality"
> metrics, one of the ones with a ridiculously heavy penalty for using
> goto. I think it'd tell you that DMD source is almost the lowest-quality
> code on the planet. <g>

Yeah. But now I'm getting a bad conscience, this is beginning to look
like Walter-bashing... :-)

> Actually, looking through the DMD source it becomes obvious that goto is
> really not a problem at all. The lack of comments is much more of a
> problem. (Especially with files with names like "e2ir.c". What the heck
> is "fltables.c", "cdxxx.c", "elxxx.c" ?). Even so, it's mostly not that
> difficult to understand.

I guess Walter has to keep alternating between ASM, C and D. And a lot
of ASM coding is nothing more than a bunch of MOV and JMP stuff. And
file naming conventions here look like what one typically finds in
development code (before some pre-publishing guy has tidyed it up with a
lot of global search&replaces). And, after all, the C files never were
meant to be public anyway.

Actually, the one interesting question might be, would rewriting this
code in a structured fashion (I mean, removing the gotos) make it
slower? (Not that I'd be suggesting Walter should do it. Just an
academic question.)