dmd 2.029 release

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Thu Apr 23 09:42:03 PDT 2009

bearophile wrote:
> Don:
>> toString() is one of the most dreadful features in D.
>
> It's also one of the most useful, and it's quite easy to understand
> and use. You need very little brain to use it. Features that require
> little/no brain are very important to me (but surely it's a quality
> that is at the bottom of the list of qualities for C++ programmers).

Yeah!

Sometimes I feel the C++ committee really thinks *every* C++ programmer
is a *superhuman*. Not necessarily that he'd be overly intelligent, but
*definitely* he'd have to keep 72 dozen different

  - best practices
  - gotchas
  - loads of things about his own code
  - rules, rules, rules...
  - exceptions to those rules
  - a load of other crap

in his mind *every* single second he's at the keyboard.
Man, I'm definitely not the one they're designing the language for.

So, yes, a simple feature here, another there, so you can maybe spend a
minute thinking about what you're actually trying to do with *your*
code, would be welcome.

Guess why I'm using D instead!

PS, I don't even mind hard-to-grasp things, *as long as* they're simple
and consistent to *use* for the rest of your life, after you've finished
pulling your hair when learning them. :-)

Proper documentation, and examples, examples and examples, really make a
difference here. I find a good example saves hours of trying to read
somebody's blabbering. That's another thing that I think D does right:
the source is there, and *especially* I find the unit tests invaluable.
That's where you see how something is supposed to be used.

Like this morning I found no documentation for
d_time parse(string s);
I simply went to the unit tests. Got it in no time at all!