dmd 2.029 release [OT]

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Fri Apr 24 00:58:47 PDT 2009

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 14:32:13 -0400, Georg Wrede <georg.wrede at iki.fi> wrote:
>> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 12:09:20 -0400, Georg Wrede <georg.wrede at iki.fi>
>>>  On my system, dragging the image drags a translucent copy of the
>>> image, so I can still see where my mouse pointer is aimed.  Maybe you
>>> don't have enough colors enabled on your screen?
>>
>> Sure it looks good, and the computer owner can brag to the guy in the
>> next cubicle, etc. But there should be some obvious or useful
>> *purpose* for dragging entire pictures where a mouse pointer would be
>> clearer, cleaner, easier for the user, and use less computer cycles.
>>
>> I mean, who's such a nutcase that he forgets halfway in the dragging,
>> what it is he's dragging?
>
> One thing that does annoy me is if you are doing this over a slow RDP
> link, the eye candy isn't worth it.
>
> I was never a huge fan of application themes.  I don't mind a theme for
> the whole system (as long as it's simple), but I don't want iTunes to
> look different just because it can.  I think it has been discussed
> before that most video editors have the slickest GUI, with real-looking
> knobs and "led's", but the video editing part of it is buggy as hell.

You're the first one to comment on the actual issue!!! :-)

Those video editors, iTunes and such look like they're programmed by
12-year olds. Somewhere there should be an adult saying what not to do!

I bet the guy who did this never expected that whole-picture dragging
actually uses more electricity in your computer. When every Firefox user
(and the others "who have to implement this too, so as not to look
inferior!") in the whole world drags whole pictures, the combined
increase in world electric usage rises well above his day-job salary.

Greenpeace ought to shoot him.