dmd 2.029 release [OT]

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Fri Apr 24 01:18:29 PDT 2009

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:op.usux6bskeav7ka at steves.networkengines.com...
>> I was never a huge fan of application themes.  I don't mind a theme for
>> the whole system (as long as it's simple), but I don't want iTunes to look
>> different just because it can.
>
> That's one of my biggest pet peeves about modern software. I can't really do
> the subject justice without delving into a giant pile of expletives.

It took me some serious browsing before I found a non-obtrusive skin for
gmplayer. And I hated to have to do that. It should have been the default.

> But worse still is when they decide to go and piss all over not just standard
> looks, but also standard behaviors. Like how the Win build of iTunes will
> still ignore/"eat" any click that brings it to the foreground. If I wanted
> that behavior I'd be running a Mac.

That's a good thing with many *nix GUIs. You can have several
overlapping windows, and even do stuff in the non-top ones. But they
really should respect the target GUIs way of doing things, when porting.

> The absolute worst of all though is when an app (*cough* skype *cough*)
> decides that "close" and "the 'close' button" should mean "don't close
> anything at all, but minimize to tray instead". That should be a firing
> squad offense ;) Joking aside though, any of these are guaranteed ways to
> make me lose any and all respect for a piece of software and its developers,
> especially if they're arrogant enough to provide no way to turn such things
> off.

Yeah, the biggest motivation (next to being graphical per se) for GUIs
was uniform app behavior. That way you only would need to learn the
common basics, and then, ostensibly, you could use any new app right off
the bat. (In the bad old days, you really had to learn to use every app,
one at a time.)