dmd 2.029 release [OT]

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Fri Apr 24 07:58:20 PDT 2009

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Georg Wrede" <georg.wrede at iki.fi> wrote in message
> news:gsrrfn$kv3$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Those video editors, iTunes and such look like they're programmed by
>> 12-year olds. Somewhere there should be an adult saying what not to do!
>>

> Well put.
>
>> I bet the guy who did this never expected that whole-picture dragging
>> actually uses more electricity in your computer. When every Firefox user
>> (and the others "who have to implement this too, so as not to look
>> inferior!") in the whole world drags whole pictures, the combined increase
>> in world electric usage rises well above his day-job salary.
>>
>> Greenpeace ought to shoot him.
>
> Funny, earlier today I was just thinking very much the same thing about a
> video I saw a few weeks ago of Palm's WebOS (Or it might have been some
> clone of WebOS). Fancy moving curves and scaling icons that serve absolutely
> no purpose besides 1. "flash for the sake of flash" (I *hate* that!) and 2.
> drain the battery. Which is really sad, I used to have so much respect for
> Palm...But then they killed graffiti, and then replaced their PDAs with cell
> phones (and we never did get PDAs with hard drives, which is ridiculous,
> even my portable music player has a damn hard drive, which of course is one
> device I wouldn't even need if my PDA *had a hdd!!*), and now this WebOS
> garbage, sheesh...And speaking of PDAs, now Nintendo's been changing their
> DS from a reasonable gaming device into the world's shittiest PDA...Man, the
> world of software and consumer electronics really depresses me these days...

It was different in the old days. In 1981 HP introduced the HP-12c
financial calculator. Seems it's still sold, for about $60.

I'd like to see the consumer gadget introduced this year, that is still
sold in 2037.

And they're built to last. I have a few HP calculators (the earliest a
HP-25, I bought in 1975), and they're fiercely usable, sturdy, and
definitely not cluttered with unneeded "features". I still use them,
particularly the HP-28s, the HP-25, and the HP-95 (which is actually an
IBM PC in palmtop size).