dmd 2.029 release [OT]

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Apr 24 11:00:19 PDT 2009

"BCS" <none at anon.com> wrote in message
news:a6268ff50d58cb92d952e5b612 at news.digitalmars.com...
> Hello Nick,
>
>> "BCS" <none at anon.com> wrote in message
>> news:a6268ff50558cb92691721562e at news.digitalmars.com...
>>
>>> yah, for some programs you rarely want to close the program but often
>>> want to close the UI.
>>>
>> That's called "Minimize".
>>

> It can be, OTOH I might want the UI process killed without killing the
> main program. Another point is the other side of the assertion, "you
> rarely want to close the program" as in 90% of the time even when I hit
> the x button, I don't actually want to close the program.

The whole point of the 'x' button is the close the program. Always has been.
If I didn't want to close the program, I wouldn't push it. If you want to
hide/kill the UI without closing the program, that's "minimize". True,
minimizing to the taskbar doesn't kill the UI process/thread (assuming it
even is a separate process/thread), but in the rare cases where the
distinction of "UI process running/killed" actually matters, the program can
still do that through a minimize to tray. And while neither "minimize" nor
"close" truly mean "minimize to tray", clearly "minimize" is FAR closer in
both wording and behavior. Any way you look at it, having a "close" button
that doesn't "close" the app is like having a "cancel" button that prints,
or a "save" button that plays music.