std2.xml and std2.encoding for D 1.0 available at D source

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 09:39:16 PDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 11:03 PM, Michael
Rynn<michaelrynn at optushome.com.au> wrote:

> I have made a little beginning attempt at understanding the phobos xml
> modules.  For a warm up exercise, I took the std.xml and std.encoding
> from phobos 2, and made them into std2.xml and std2.encoding in the
> DSource project std2, so the dmd 1.0 compiler took a tour tripping up
> all over the code.
>
> They are attached as files on the http://www.dsource.org/projects/std2
> page.

Great.  Thanks for the contribution.  I've checked your ports into svn now.

> I cannot believe that anybody actually uses the std2 project files.

What do you mean by that?

> I  took away all the safety features of const, immutable and any other
> things that dmd 1.0 complains about, as "recommended" for the std2.
>
> Inserted a few support functions not immediately avalable in Phobos
> 1.0,  notably some  suggested better code  for the encode (xml entity)
> , and renamed it as encodeStdEntity, from a Tango fan in the D bugs
> postings.
>
> Ran unit tests and also successfully rab the books.xml example.
>
> Re-enabled the disabled unittest in std.encoding, and fixed the little
> bug that was spoiling it, also posting that to the D bugs.
>
> ..

Very cool.  You should probably know, though, that std.xml is not very
popular.  I'm don't have much to do with XML -- by choice, horrid
stuff if you ask me -- but folks who have played with std.xml have
found it buggy and very slow.  And the original author has
disappeared.  There has been talk that it needs to be rewritten from
scratch.  Or perhaps replaced with a port of tango's very speedy xml
library.

--bb