std2.xml and std2.encoding for D 1.0 available at D source

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 13:13:01 PDT 2009

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 11:03 PM, Michael
> Rynn<michaelrynn at optushome.com.au> wrote:
>> I  took away all the safety features of const, immutable and any other
>> things that dmd 1.0 complains about, as "recommended" for the std2.

Well, different people feel differently about these things. IMO, the
complication of const/immutable and loss of productivity doesn't justify
the small gains in safety. Whether it justifies the muiltithreading
advantages is yet to be seen, though there's some promising stuff coming
from the minds of A&W.

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Very cool.  You should probably know, though, that std.xml is not very
> popular.  I'm don't have much to do with XML -- by choice, horrid
> stuff if you ask me -- but folks who have played with std.xml have
> found it buggy and very slow.  And the original author has
> disappeared.  There has been talk that it needs to be rewritten from
> scratch.  Or perhaps replaced with a port of tango's very speedy xml
> library.

Yup... among other things, it does not correctly handle elements that
a show-stopper bug, IMO. As far as Tango's XML goes, yeah, it's awesome;
check out:

http://dotnot.org/blog/archives/2008/03/10/xml-benchmarks-updated-graphs-with-rapidxml/
http://dotnot.org/blog/archives/2008/03/10/xml-benchmarks-parsequerymutateserialize/
http://dotnot.org/blog/archives/2008/03/09/xml-benchmarks-pros-and-cons-of-each-library/