New little features in Descent

Charles Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 26 12:31:21 PDT 2009

Ary Borenszweig wrote:
> Charles Hixson wrote:
>> Ary Borenszweig wrote:

>>> The result I get, with brackets of try/catch/finally configured to
>>> the next line, is:
>>>
>>> import tango.io.Stdout;
>>> import tango.core.Exception;
>>>
>>> void main(char[][] args) {
>>>     try
>>>     {
>>>         /* Do some stuff */
>>>     } catch(IOException ex)
>>>     {
>>>         Stdout.formatln("Caught IOException!");
>>>     /* Consequence: Clean up and possibly try again. */
>>>     } catch(Exception ex)
>>>     {
>>>         Stdout.formatln("Caught unexpected exception!");
>>>     /* Consequence: Die as gracefully as possible. */
>>>     }
>>> }
>>>
>>> What's your formatter configuration?
>> Did you notice the line in your example reading:
>>     /* Consequence: Clean up and possibly try again. */
>>     } catch(Exception ex)
>> I think he's saying the catch should have been on a line separate from
>> the close bracket.
>> (I've noticed that I need to do a lot of formatting manually with
>> things like:
>>      if (....)
>>      {
>>      {
>> being common.  I just insert another tab, so it's no big deal, but it
>> happens frequently.  (I'd rather that you detected more parsing errors
>> rather than spending your time fixing the formatting, but other people
>> have other priorities.)
>> P.S.:  When using descent I've discovered that it's best to avoid
>> emuns.  It would be nice if that were fixed.  Using them seems to lead
>> to the entire IDE freezing.
>
> If you can create a ticket so I can reproduce it, great. :)

Understanding your problem, I still can't.  I've just stopped using
them.  But since the change happened two or three times soon after I
inserted enums into a relatively large program, and disappeared when I
removed them, I'm rather certain about the cause.  (Often it would
freeze the IDE before I'd even saved the work, and when I reproduced it
using constant ints of type (whatever) there wasn't any problem.)

P.S.:  When the problem was present I found it expedient to correct the
problem using another text editor.  The IDE would crash that quickly
after the file opened.