SciD: the humble beginning

Chad J chadjoan at __spam.is.bad__gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 08:28:24 PST 2009

dsimcha wrote:

> ...  The other option is to make
> sure everything is loosely coupled to the GUI lib so it can be easily swapped for
> another one.  The downside is that this has some tradeoffs in terms of simplicity
> and probably performance that I don't think I want to make and is probably a
> classic example of overengineering.

Is it really that hard to have the GUI libs in question just give you
some pixels in memory or an opengl context?  Then you could use your own
highly optimized plot drawing routines instead of relying on the GUI lib
to do this.  I figured this kind of thing would be unbeatable for
performance, unless the library ties your hands.