SciD: the humble beginning

Michal Minich michal.minich at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 06:44:16 PST 2009

>> Is it really that hard to have the GUI libs in question just give you
>> some pixels in memory or an opengl context?  Then you could use your
>> own highly optimized plot drawing routines instead of relying on the
>> GUI lib to do this.  I figured this kind of thing would be unbeatable
>> for performance, unless the library ties your hands.
>>
> I had considered this.  The biggest problem is font rendering.

on Windows, function CreateDIBSection can be used to create block of memory
directly accessible by application, while it can be used for GDI functions,
including text rendering. I use it in some D code, and it is quite easier
to use than it may look from the docs.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd183494%28VS.85%29.aspx