dnet - a D compiler to target the CLR (.Net / Mono)

Tim Matthews tim.matthews7 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 13:51:06 PST 2009

On 21/12/2009 10:42 a.m., dsimcha wrote:
> Quick question:  Will D .net allow for the use of regular Phobos I/O functionality
> instead of the .net versions if one prefers?  If basic I/O functionality isn't
> compatible between D .net and other implementations of D, then for all practical
> purposes they will be different languages.

No. Currently it cannot use any native code.

It would be nice to have eventually in the future the D equivalent of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B/CLI. Some developers find C++/CLI
very awkward with all the extra syntax for GC code but as D is a GC
language it should fit nicely.

A native-managed bridge could also be made. This would probably simpler
but less than ideal.