SciD: the humble beginning

Georg Wrede georg at nospam.org
Mon Dec 21 16:44:36 PST 2009

Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
> Most of the code is
> written with a "get it to work - NOW" philoshophy, and as such there is
> a lot of potential for improvement and polish, not least when it comes
> to performance. I am aware of this, so there is really no need to
> benchmark it against established scientific libraries quite yet.

I wish more of software were written with this attitude. Too many a
promising project is abandoned because it is not "proper",
"comprehensive", "neat", "polished", "cool", "impressive", "performant",
"unique", "impressive", "trail-blazing", ... And the only one who loses
is US. WE lose.

This is tantamount to quenching creativity, the very property that
differentiates us from the aboriginals. But observe: not because they'd
be inferior, but simply because such a big part of their existence is
consumed by the very acts of finding food and shelter, that we take for
granted, while we have the time to indulge in quests of remote rewards.

The difference between "the Nike philosophy" (just do it), and doing it
"the day AFTER tomorrow, after proper design and deliberation", is not
the same as between "Bill Gates' get it out now, who cares how crappy",
and "wait 'till it's perfect".