QtD 0.1 is out!

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 20:52:59 PST 2009

Hello Chris,

> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>
>> "Daniel Keep"<daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com>  wrote in message
>> news:gmfujj$2t5$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> So... not having a scripting language would make pages run slower.

>>> I *really* hope you're joking.
>>>
>>> As for the "ugly" argument, that's bunk as well.  The only two
>>> things you can't do without Javascript is to perform dynamic
>>> positioning and visibility.  But you don't NEED those to make
>>> aesthetically pleasing pages.  Just go look at CSS Zen Garden.
>>>
>>> *deep breath*
>>>
>>> <tirade>
>>>
>>> I have no problem with having scripting available for pages in
>>> general. But what DOES make me spew LIQUID HATE from every bodily
>>> orifice [1] is when they use Javascript to REPLACE FUNCTIONALITY
>>> THAT HTML ALREADY HAS.
>>>
>>> Like the sites where instead of using hyperlinks, they use
>>> Javascript in onclick events.  Gee thanks, a**hole, you just broke
>>> tabs.  Thanks for dictating how I'm allowed to view your site!
>>>
>>> Or the sites where they "inject" the content of the page like this:

>>> Or pages where they have forms that go over perfectly ordinary HTTP
>>> POST and use perfectly ordinary form elements... but the submit
>>> button doesn't work BECAUSE IT REQUIRES F**KING SCRIPTING.
>>>
>>> This sort of bulls**t is inexcusable.  It's like breaking someone's
>>> legs and saying "but now you can use crutches; isn't that great?!"
>>>
>>> No, you broke my legs you bastard!
>>>
>>> What's more, thanks to the plague of popup ads, ads that hang your
>>> browser for 5 seconds every time you mouse over the word "synergy"
>>> in an article, ads that show up in the same window but OVER the
>>> content, ads that play music or stream video when I'm on a
>>> QUOTA-LIMITED 'net connection, ads that start TALKING to you if your
>>> mouse goes anywhere near them or sites that just generally abuse the
>>> hell out of scripting, I'm amazed ANYONE browses the web with
>>> Javascript enabled by default. Frankly, if you build a site that
>>> utterly depends on Javascript to function [2], then you're an
>>> _idiot_.
>>>
>>> You want to use JS to make the site more usable?  That's great!  But
>>> you DO NOT break basic functionality to do it.  EVER.  If you can't
>>> figure out how, you're not qualified to be writing JS for web pages
>>> [3].
>>>
>>> As someone who used to do web development: anyone, **ANYONE** who
>>> does this should be taken out back, shot, hung, drawn&  quartered
>>> then buried upside-down at a crossroads under a crucifix with a
>>> steak through the heart and a silver bullet in the head.  Then burn
>>> and salt the earth just to make sure.
>>>
>>> </tirade>
>>>
>>> Sorry about that, but MAN do I feel better.
>>>
>>> -- Daniel
>>>
>>> [1] ... to borrow a phrase from Ben Croshaw.
>>>
>>> [2] Obviously, this doesn't apply for sites that GENUINELY cannot
>>> function without Javascript.  Stuff like Google Docs or a Javascript
> [...]

Yeah, I don't go to that many websites beyong a usual few.  Firefox's built-in
popup blocker has been sufficient for me (and it usually tells me when it
has blocked a popup).  It's actually been a long time since I've worried
too much about popups.  I /do/ remember the day, though, when popups were
a problem, and it was annoying.

My beef is mostly with JS and Flash which noscript handles quite well.

-JJR