QtD 0.1 is out!

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Feb 5 22:06:15 PST 2009

"Daniel Keep" <daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:gmg4oj$dqp$2 at digitalmars.com...

> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Bill Baxter" <wbaxter at gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:mailman.658.1233882921.22690.digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com...
>>> What kind of sites do you go that are so bad?  I find things a little
>>> annoying without FlashBlock, and I have Firefox's default popup
>>> blocking on, but with those two things, I don't see much of anything
>>> all *that* annoying in my day-to-day web use.  So I'm wondering if it
>>> has to do with the sites you frequent or something?  Or is it just
>>> your threshold for tolerating an ad or two is so much lower than mine?
>>>

>> FlashBlock is another one of my essential addons :)
>>
>> Let me put it this way: I don't have any sort of documented reading
>> disability (ex, I've always done well on reading comprehension tests).
>> But
>> dispite that, I find it nearly impossible to read anything more than a
>> single trivial sentence whenever there's anything moving, blinking,
>> spinning, a slideshow, etc anywhere near the text (or when there's a
>> voice
>> reading it to me). It's not just annoying, it's a genuine distraction
>> that
>> my mind is simply unable to block out. Plus, as far as I'm concerned,
>> there
>> shouldn't be any moving, spinning, pulsating, animating crap to be
>> blocked
>> out of my mind in the first place.
>
> I run AdBlock, NoScript, FlashBlock and Nuke Anything Enchanced.  And if
> I DO see an ad get through all that, I add the company to my mental
> "people I will never buy from" list.
>
> I'm an advertiser's worst nightmare.

I use QuickJava instead of NoScript. I find it handy to be able to toggle JS
on/off with just a single click. I used to keep JS off by default and only
turn it on when I really needed it, but sites requiring JS became more and
more common to the point that I ended up reluctantly just keeping JS on by
default, and only turning it off when something obnoxious is going on. Not
an action I'm proud of, but it keeps me sane.

My other bare-minimum essentials, in addition to Adblock Plus and
FlashBlock, are Winestripe, Tab Mix Plus, and DisableBackspaceNavigation. I
also make heavy use of Repagination, DownThemAll (I'm a packrat),
BatchDownload, DownloadHelper, Download Statusbar (a little ugly, but much
more handy than the default download window) and FasterFox (useful to see
just how absurdly slow page-loading often is. I'm on a good broadband
connection, and I frequently find sites that take 40-50 seconds to load a
single page whenever JS is enabled (that's a good example of how JS slows
the web down instead of speeding it up)).