QtD 0.1 is out!

Don nospam at nospam.com
Thu Feb 12 11:11:40 PST 2009

naryl wrote:
> Don Wrote:
>> Well, since Qt is going to use the lunatic# LGPL license, you have to
>> use a DLL anyway for commercial use.
>>
>> # lunatic because of the prohibition against static linking. I cannot
>> understand why anyone would use such an absolutely moronic license.
>
> LGPL doesn't explicitly prohibits static linking. It serves to ensure that the modified library can be replaced by other version at any time. And there's a good reason for that.

Yes. But does ANYONE ever do that? It's an invitation to DLL hell.

> Obviously you can't replace a library with other version if it's statically linked. But nothing prohibits from distributing a product in object files. :)

Exactly. That's why it's the lunatic license.
The LGPL inconveniences everyone in order to preserve a freedom which
benefits NOBODY. It feels to me like giving you a free car PROVIDED that
you ensure that there is a coffee cup glued to the top of it at all times.

I'm strongly in favour of the GPL (especially for apps), but the LGPL is
pure lunacy.