LGPL Re: QtD 0.1 is out!

renoX renosky at free.fr
Mon Feb 16 22:06:59 PST 2009

naryl a écrit :
> Don Wrote:
>> Well, since Qt is going to use the lunatic# LGPL license, you have to
>> use a DLL anyway for commercial use.
>>
>> # lunatic because of the prohibition against static linking. I cannot
>> understand why anyone would use such an absolutely moronic license.
>
> LGPL doesn't explicitly prohibits static linking. It serves to ensure that the modified library can be replaced by other version at any time. And there's a good reason for that.
>
> Obviously you can't replace a library with other version if it's statically linked. But nothing prohibits from distributing a product in object files. :)

I disagree: the LGPL is probably the most 'derived' license: because
developers don't like the stupid restriction on static linking they
change it..

Too bad as it creates a lot of different LGPL-like license.

That said, I know for sure that the LGPLv2 prevents static linking I
don't know about the LGPLv3 though.

BR,
renoX